What is Kadcyla ( Ado-Trastuzumab emtansine ) ?
Kadcyla contains the active substance trastuzumab emtansine, which is made up of two parts that are linked together:
- trastuzumab – a monoclonal antibody that binds selectively to an antigen (a target protein) called human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2). HER2 is found in large amounts on the surface of some cancer cells where it stimulates their growth. When trastuzumab binds to HER2 it can stop the cancer cells growth and cause them to die.
- DM1 – an anti-cancer substance that becomes active once Kadcyla enters the cancer cell.
What are the indications and usage?
Kadcyla is used to treat breast cancer in adults when:
- the cancer cells have many HER2 proteins on them – your doctor will test your cancer cells for this.
- you have already received the medicine trastuzumab and a medicine known as a taxane.
- the cancer has spread to areas near the breast or to other parts of your body
What Kadcyla looks like and contents of the pack ?
Kadcyla is a white to off-white lyophilised powder for concentrate for solution for infusion supplied in glass vials.
Kadcyla is available in packs containing 1 vial.